Row of cows at farm in Shropshire

I've had a statutory notice of land entry served upon me by a utility company, what should I do?

19/06/23I've had a statutory notice of land entry served upon me by a utility company, what should I do?

Utility companies rely upon legal powers to use land entry rights; these have been granted to them by specific acts of government legislation. These set out the minimum notice period required before a utility company can forcibly enter your land, and will notify the affected party that they have the right to be compensated for any reasonable loss suffered as a result of the proposed works.

You should appoint a Land Agent, who can advise you of your rights and obligations as an affected party. They will advise you on what you can claim compensation for and liaise with the utility company to arrange for works to be undertaken at a time that will cause you the least disruption.

The Agent will also seek to protect your interest by recording the condition of your property, before and after the works have taken place. This can be used to justify a subsequent compensation claim that they can put together on your behalf and submit to the utility company.

Land agents are skilled in preparing claims and negotiating settlements, and can negotiate with the utility company so that your compensation claim can be settled by the fairest possible means.

Usually, the Agent’s professional fees will be fully reimbursable by the utility company, as the same statutory legislation which affords the utility company the right to enter your land, also affords protection to the owner and/or occupier in that they will be reimbursed for all reasonable losses including that of professional costs.

Please contact us to discuss your requirements.


Ed Merriman


Call us today on 01691 610317  
or   email